Subsonic Filter

Labdoc

Subsonic Filter

Post by Labdoc » 14 Jul 2020 16:53

Dear Uli and Matt
Mitch Barnett advises to not set the subsonic filter in Macro 2, but instead set it in Macro 4.
In Macro 2, the purpose and effect of the subsonic filter are obvious on the target curve.
In Macro 4, the purpose and effect seems to be on improving the step response.

Do you have advice on when and where to use the Subsonic filter?

To date, my work flow has been to leave the Subsonic filter blank in Macro 2.
In Macro 4, I begin with the Subsonic filter blank. I iterate Macro 4 and 5 with increasing EPW until the Group Delay shows peaks above 100 Hz. Then back off the EPW until the Group Delay is OK. Preringing can also be adjusted. Then add the Subsonic filter, looking for the best Step response after Macro 5.
Murray
Acourate/AConvolver on Win 11x64 > Thunderbolt > RME UFXplus (as DAC/preamp) > Balanced cable > Wyred4Sound SX1000 Icepower mono amps > ATC SCM50PSLT and stereo JL Audio F113 subs
Uli
Site Admin

Subsonic Filter

Post by Uli » 14 Jul 2020 17:22

The recommended procedure with the actual Acourate version is:

Design the target in macro2 and if desired define a subsonic filter. Simply keep the according checkbox enabled.
Thus you can see how the subsonic filter looks like.
Acourate does not use the subsonic in macro3 but it remembers the value and the activation state in macro4. You will find the subsonic frequency in macro4.
Now you can run macro4 and also check for group delay in macro5.
If you like to change it you can alter the frequency value in macro4 or even disable the subsonic.
When you go then back to macro2 you will see again the new subsonic with macro4 parameters.

As you see the subsonic data are properly exchanged between macro2 and macro4.