new filter with clipping

Ackcheng

new filter with clipping

Post by Ackcheng » 14 Jun 2020 11:13

Dear Uli,

I was remeasuring my speaker and after all the steps of driver linearisation, delay correction and room correction, I measured the room corrected frequency response and still get the response above 0db most of the time as shown in the picture attached. Is this the reason why I got clipping?

Ackcheng

Re: new filter with clipping

Post by Ackcheng » 14 Jun 2020 11:15

UliBru

Re: new filter with clipping

Post by UliBru » 14 Jun 2020 11:35

Arthur,

unfortunately the picture does not show up correctly.
The frequency plot of the room measurement is always above 0 dB as it is not normalized. So the absolute values are not important here but just relative values.
You can load and check the correction filters, they should usually not exceed 0 dBFS.
BUT: as the filters also shift the phase due to phase correction it is still possible that the final result contains clipping (even an allpass filter with flat frequency response can cause clipping!). Here it is necessary to find the right balance. Usually the clipping is pretty short. Whereas lowering the filter gain until there is definitely no clipping may lead to a very low gain at the end.
Anyway the first proper check is inspecting the correction filters. If they are ok and you still notice clipping you can enter a value like -1 or more dB in the max. gain edit in macro4.
Stay well tuned
Uli

Acourate system: JRiver/Roon -> AcourateConvolver -> miniDSP U-DIO8 -> TacT M/S2150 amps -> DIY horn speakers