miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

acourate2020
Posts: 26
Joined: 30 May 2020 03:59

miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by acourate2020 » 01 Jun 2020 13:13

Hi Uli

I have Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC which comes with Pro-Ject's own ASIO driver.

But do you still recommend I ignore Pro-Ject's ASIO driver and instead use ASIO4ALL for both USB DAC and UMIK-1?
User avatar
UliBru
Posts: 433
Joined: 19 Oct 2019 13:58

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by UliBru » 01 Jun 2020 13:45

I clearly recommend to use a soundcard with ADC and DAC. The soundcard should have a mic preamp and 48V phantom power. A most simple soundcard is e.g. a Steinberg UR12 or a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. But they are still good.
The main reason: the soundcard applies the same clock to both ADC and DAC.

Whereas the Umik-1 uses its own clock. It is for high chance different to the clock in the DAC playing the measurement signal. This leads to timing errors and thus to worse pulse responses. Maybe no problem if you run just a frequency correction. But with phase correction it is better to use a proper measurement system.

Furthermore the Umik-1 has no Asio driver but only a Windows driver. Thus Asio4All is mandatory as Acourate uses Asio drivers.
In your case with the Pro-Ject DAC still Asio4All is necessary as the DAC Asio driver does not support a microphone by principle.
Unfortunately running different Asio drivers together is also a no-go (see also https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... gether#top)
Stay well tuned
Uli

Moderator
Acourate system: JRiver/Roon -> AcourateConvolver -> miniDSP U-DIO8 -> TacT M/S2150 amps -> DIY horn speakers
acourate2020
Posts: 26
Joined: 30 May 2020 03:59

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by acourate2020 » 01 Jun 2020 13:52

UliBru wrote:
01 Jun 2020 13:45
I clearly recommend to use a soundcard with ADC and DAC. The soundcard should have a mic preamp and 48V phantom power. A most simple soundcard is e.g. a Steinberg UR12 or a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. But they are still good.
The main reason: the soundcard applies the same clock to both ADC and DAC.

Whereas the Umik-1 uses its own clock. It is for high chance different to the clock in the DAC playing the measurement signal. This leads to timing errors and thus to worse pulse responses. Maybe no problem if you run just a frequency correction. But with phase correction it is better to use a proper measurement system.

Furthermore the Umik-1 has no Asio driver but only a Windows driver. Thus Asio4All is mandatory as Acourate uses Asio drivers.
In your case with the Pro-Ject DAC still Asio4All is necessary as the DAC Asio driver does not support a microphone by principle.
Unfortunately running different Asio drivers together is also a no-go (see also https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... gether#top)
Thanks Uli!

So if I use Focusrite Scarlett Solo, then there is no need to use ASIO4ALL correct?

Since Focusrite Scarlett Solo single ASIO driver will support both USB DAC and microphone?
User avatar
UliBru
Posts: 433
Joined: 19 Oct 2019 13:58

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by UliBru » 01 Jun 2020 14:07

yes :)
Stay well tuned
Uli

Moderator
Acourate system: JRiver/Roon -> AcourateConvolver -> miniDSP U-DIO8 -> TacT M/S2150 amps -> DIY horn speakers
acourate2020
Posts: 26
Joined: 30 May 2020 03:59

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by acourate2020 » 01 Jun 2020 14:42

UliBru wrote:
01 Jun 2020 14:07
yes :)
Thanks Uli.

If I get the Focusrite, then I'll need a calibrated mic.

Can you recommend the Dayton EMM-6 Electret Condenser mic, for use with Acourate?

https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/911 ... microphone
User avatar
UliBru
Posts: 433
Joined: 19 Oct 2019 13:58

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by UliBru » 01 Jun 2020 14:54

The EMM-6 is ok. You can also download an individual calibration which definitely makes sense.
Stay well tuned
Uli

Moderator
Acourate system: JRiver/Roon -> AcourateConvolver -> miniDSP U-DIO8 -> TacT M/S2150 amps -> DIY horn speakers
acourate2020
Posts: 26
Joined: 30 May 2020 03:59

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by acourate2020 » 01 Jun 2020 15:01

UliBru wrote:
01 Jun 2020 14:54
The EMM-6 is ok. You can also download an individual calibration which definitely makes sense.
What do you recommend as better than the EMM-6?

I can review my budget :-)

I imagine you will say Earthworks M23 but is there anything 'in between' in price?
User avatar
UliBru
Posts: 433
Joined: 19 Oct 2019 13:58

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by UliBru » 01 Jun 2020 15:22

The EMM-6. the Behringer ECM8000 or the Superlux ECM999 (see www.audiovero.de) are all quite similar (Panasonic mic capsule?). They are good enough for the intended use as long as you get an individual calibrated mic.

I have never looked for an 'in between' mic. Of course I'm happy with my Earthworks M50 but you may consider it as 'professional use'.
Stay well tuned
Uli

Moderator
Acourate system: JRiver/Roon -> AcourateConvolver -> miniDSP U-DIO8 -> TacT M/S2150 amps -> DIY horn speakers
acourate2020
Posts: 26
Joined: 30 May 2020 03:59

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by acourate2020 » 02 Jun 2020 05:58

UliBru wrote:
01 Jun 2020 15:22
The EMM-6. the Behringer ECM8000 or the Superlux ECM999 (see www.audiovero.de) are all quite similar (Panasonic mic capsule?). They are good enough for the intended use as long as you get an individual calibrated mic.

I have never looked for an 'in between' mic. Of course I'm happy with my Earthworks M50 but you may consider it as 'professional use'.
Thanks Uli !

For the Earthworks M23, would you recommend I perform Acourate measurements at 44.1kHz or 48kHz sampling rates?

When using with Focusrite Scarlett Solo.
acourate2020
Posts: 26
Joined: 30 May 2020 03:59

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by acourate2020 » 02 Jun 2020 11:31

Also, same query if using the Dayton EMM-6 mic - measure at 44.1k or 48k?
Post Reply