miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

UliBru

Re: miniDSP UMIK-1 - ASIO4ALL driver

Post by UliBru » 02 Jun 2020 12:15

1. AD converters and DA converters typically apply a brickwall filter which creates a characteristic roll-off at the top frequency range.
2. Most music today is published with 44.1 kHz samplerate, thus the top frequency is 22.05 Hz.
3. Using a samplerate of 48 Khz by high chance has a roll-off above 22050 Hz. Thus I recommend 48 kHz for the measurement
4. Using a higher samplerate also means a higher frequency range, e.g. with 192 kHz samplerate you can play a frequency up to 96 kHz = fs/2. But please show me a microphone or a tweeter working at such a frequency. So what and how to correct what you cannot measure? IMO a higher samplerate is a waste of information. Thus I apply 48 kHz by myself and I also recommend it.
Stay well tuned
Uli

Acourate system: JRiver/Roon -> AcourateConvolver -> miniDSP U-DIO8 -> TacT M/S2150 amps -> DIY horn speakers
dfrancoanzola

Post by dfrancoanzola » 05 Oct 2021 14:41

Hi Uli,

Thanks for your software. I have been learning and trying to apply correction for my room, however, the results haven't been great so far. I feel I'm losing micro dynamics and separation among instruments... stereo image ended up less defined after applying the convolution files to Roon. One of my hypothesis is that I'm using the UMIK-1 microphone and maybe the pulses are being wrongly measured (UMIK, Asio4all, USB DAC)

After reading some posts, I went through the process again taking the measurement through LSR3 app... but results were still similar.

I'm thinking about switching to external sound card. Haven't been able to find the Focusrite down here, but I see Behringer and Tascam. Any point of view on these? I can purchase the Behringer microphone here as well.

Separate note: two more hypothesis: I seem to have high reverb in my room (0.8s for -60db), may that impact high frequency measurements and throw the algorithm off? second hypothesis: I'm choosing a bad target curve.

Thanks for your reply, I am clearly ignorant in acoustics and your help is much appreciated.
UliBru

Post by UliBru » 05 Oct 2021 15:14

Hi,

I know that other users have applied a Steinberg UR12 quite well. I guess that Behringer or Tascam soundcards belong to the same class.
A Behringer ECM8000 is ok, it should be individually calibrated though.

0.8 s reverberation time is pretty much. The room must be big.

Anyway you can send me the recorded pulses for double-check.
Stay well tuned
Uli

Acourate system: JRiver/Roon -> AcourateConvolver -> miniDSP U-DIO8 -> TacT M/S2150 amps -> DIY horn speakers
vikcious

Post by vikcious » 29 Dec 2021 12:18

UliBru wrote:
05 Oct 2021 15:14
A Behringer ECM8000 is ok, it should be individually calibrated though.
Hi Uli,

This calibration is it something that a normal user could do or? I see you're selling a calibrated version of the Behringer ECM8000 for a roughly 50 EUR extra to the base mic price. So I was wondering if I could be doing this (the way one could do it in REW) or does it require specific tools + exotic knowledge to get it done. Don't get my question wrong... I am just trying to also keep an eye on my budget (of course ... while it makes sense and it doesn't affect the overall quality of working with Acourate.

Thanks,
Victor
Acourate system: Matrix Audio Mini-I PRO3 --> AcourateConvolver --> Focusrite Clarett+ 4Pre --> Audiophonics Purifi Based Amplif --> KEF R3s / 2x SVS SB 1000
UliBru

Post by UliBru » 29 Dec 2021 21:04

Hello Victor,

a calibration needs to be done against a reference. So the calibration quality depends on the reference quality. Of course the procedure has to be carried out carefully.
This does not mean that you cannot do it by yourself.
I just offer calibrated mics as many sellers do not take care about. I do not get rich. Simply calculate all effort for purchase, stock, calibration, transportation, packing and shipment.
Stay well tuned
Uli

vikcious

Post by vikcious » 01 Jan 2022 18:56

UliBru wrote:
29 Dec 2021 21:04
Hello Victor,

I do not get rich. Simply calculate all effort for purchase, stock, calibration, transportation, packing and shipment.
Oh, sorry Uli bitte didn't mean to be offensive! I suspected the extra work and time and to be factored in that's why I asked.

Else, let me wish you a very well tuned 2022! Looking forward to become one of the new Acourate fans! 🤩
Acourate system: Matrix Audio Mini-I PRO3 --> AcourateConvolver --> Focusrite Clarett+ 4Pre --> Audiophonics Purifi Based Amplif --> KEF R3s / 2x SVS SB 1000