AcourateNAS speed improvement?

Emperyan

AcourateNAS speed improvement?

Post by Emperyan » 27 Nov 2020 12:17

I use AcourateNAS for years and love it.

But as my music library grows, it´s quite an effort to change filters. Running my whole music library through AcourateNAS takes more than a week of constant computing.
Strangely, when AcourateNAS is working, my CPU, RAM and SSD are nowhere near ther capacity limits. Running AcourateNAS takes an additional 8% of CPU power and about 10% (sometimes up to 25%) of SSD bandwith while working. Especially writing is slow - it uses only 1-3% of the bandwidth the SSD is capable of.

Is there a way I can assign more computing power to AcourateNAS in order to speed up the calculation?

I am using version 1.4.0 of AcourateNAS on Windows 10.

Thanks
UliBru

Re: AcourateNAS speed improvement?

Post by UliBru » 27 Nov 2020 16:15

Sorry but right now I do not have a quick solution. I know of course about the processing of different files simultanoulsy (e.g. dBPowerAmp is good with it). But it also needs a lot of effort.
Stay well tuned
Uli

Acourate system: JRiver/Roon -> AcourateConvolver -> miniDSP U-DIO8 -> TacT M/S2150 amps -> DIY horn speakers
Lesage

Post by Lesage » 06 Dec 2020 14:38

Would it be possible to have the choice of central memory as workspace instead of peripheral memory ?
Nowadays Windows 10 PCs have large enough memory space, ie 8 or 16 Gb, or more, while less than 4 Gb are in use

And, would it be possible to write each file after its normalization instead of waiting the last file's normalization ?
This would make a better usage of peripheral memory's buffering and reduce its latency

Or : convolve, then immediatly normalize then immediatly write each file of a folder at a time (if "single file normalization" is selected) ?

I have SSDs as source and target, but the writing operations are surprisingly slow on my computer, too.

Best regards
UliBru

Post by UliBru » 06 Dec 2020 14:59

You may try using a ramdisk. Google will show up solutions which work also with Win10.
You can the use the ramdisk as target. But be careful not to convolve too many tracks at once. Of course you also need to backup the resulting files properly.
Another solution is to use the ramdisk for the temporary folder where AcourateNAS stores the intermediate files.
Stay well tuned
Uli

Acourate system: JRiver/Roon -> AcourateConvolver -> miniDSP U-DIO8 -> TacT M/S2150 amps -> DIY horn speakers